Article by Airbus
Rudder SRM repair reactivation
Airbus is re-introducing most of the recurrent rudder sandwich repairs in the Structural Repair Manual (SRM).
A significant disbond was identified on a repaired rudder side shell during Maintenance Planning Document (MPD) task accomplishment.
A deep analysis revealed that deviation to the SRM repair process could lead to inadequate repair quality. SRM rudder shell sandwich repairs were de-validated in December 2009 Revision.
A mandatory inspection of all rudders with repairs was put in place with replacement of these repairs. New repairs on rudder shell were done by RDAS only.
Based on the in-service repairs of the last 6 years, it was decided to re-introduce most of the recurrent rudder sandwich repairs in the SRM.
The proposal was agreed by EASA on March 17th 2016
Analysis of in-service damages reported to Airbus (RDAS requested) from 2010 to 2015
|Repair Type||Number of repairs performed|
|Debond/fluid ingress in Zone D,F,J,A,Q, T,R or D,F,J,A,Q,N,H||39|
|Debond/fluid ingress in Zone S or E,H,A||1|
|Debond/fluid ingress in Zone P,O||17|
|Fluid ingress (No debonding) in Zone P,O||16|
|Lower FWD Hoist point Zone O rep||2|
|Rep of Damages outer skin core Zone J||2|
|Rep of Damages outer skins core Zone A (or A, Q)||19|
|Upper/lower AFT Hoist point Zone O rep||2|
- Analysis of rudder in-service damages
- EASA agreement to re-introduce recurrent repairs in the SRM
- SRM revision Nov 2016
SRM Working Group
The SRM Working Group is the opportunity for the customer airlines/MRO to raise all SRM related subjects they would like to discuss with Airbus.
It is an enhanced collaboration between Airbus and customers with communication via a collaborative platform (iShare) and regular WebEx sessions.
The SRM working groups are in place for all Airbus civil programmes (The first WebEx for the A300/A310 Family is planned in December 2016).
- Discuss specific technical subjects.
- Enable customers to propose new subjects.
- Give status on on-going SRM developments.
- Present some new repairs for customer feedback before publication.
- Inform customers about latest SRM improvements (content and format).
- Share new ideas for SRM improvements.
Collaborative platform (iShare)
- Currently 21 subjects are followed
- First WebEx A300/A310FAM on 13th December, 2016